Monday, July 13, 2009

Dreams do Come True

I am sitting in the fairgrounds in Lancaster, Ohio. I just completed the 5th day of biking. Since the last post I biked 57.5 miles, 47.5 miles and just finished a 50 miles day. We've been having a lot of fun, one day we waited out a storm at a produce farm. There was a completely blind dog named Tiffany and the owner let us sit down and eat cucumbers that migrant workers had just processed. Two days ago when we were in Richwood, OH we camped at the city park. It was full of goose poop and hard to find a clean spot to pitch a tent. Around 9:30pm a police officer stopped by to check on us. He was really chill, we talked to him for a long time about what we were doing. After awhile I told him about a lifelong dream of mine. I said, "Hey, I've always wanted to be handcuffed and thrown in the back of a cop-car". So that's just what he did.
Yesterday we decided to switch up the biking arrangement. We had been biking as a group all together and meeting the support vehicle halfway to eat lunch. Now we ride in pairs and bring our lunch with us. We left Richwood around 9:30am and got to Darbydale, OH (47.5 mi) around 1pm. We stayed at the Metropark which really you're not supposed too, but we had a special permit. It was kinda stinky, but the rangers let us use a hose for a shower. So now I've had two showers in 6 days and they were both by hose.
Today we left at 8:30am and got to Lancaster, OH (50 mi) at 1:45 pm. It was a little bit fail today - we passed the support vehicle because they took a shopping trip. It ended up okay because we just stopped for lunch and waited for them to catch up. We then took a wrong turn and went about four miles out of the way. There were also a TON of hills that I didn't love, but I made it.
Today is the day that we meet up with the larger group and I'm pretty excited to see how our group dynamics will change. They are riding totally self-supported which means that they won't have a car hauling there stuff. Many of them have been riding for almost a couple months, I bet they have wicked tan lines.

1 comment:

  1. Shayna, you are my hero and a complete badass. This is such an amazing thing that you are doing!


    I miss you lots and can't wait to see you when you get home (and before I move).


    -Tara

    PS. You should have told me about your dream of being handcuffed in the back of a cop car...I have a family FULL of cops! :)

    ReplyDelete


My new bike- please get me to DC!!!